I'm going to take a wild guess and say most of you probably don't know what Balut is, and if you don't, prepare to be a little grossed out. Today at work, Mairo fresh back from a month long vacation in the Philippines, brought Balut to work to show it/share it. Let me tell you what Balut is.
A balut is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell.
Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, balut are mostly sold by street vendors in the regions where they are available. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. They are common, everyday food in some other countries in Southeast Asia, such as in Laos (where it is called Khai Luk), Cambodia (Pong tea khon in Cambodian), and Vietnam (Trứng vịt lộn or Hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese). They are often served with beer.
Yes. They seriously eat these chicks in eggs. I witnessed it today. They crack it gently on the table, making a hole in the top, and they SUCK it out. Then they crunch it all down. I almost threw up. No joke. I have never ever seen anything so disgusting in my entire life. Mario tried to get me eat one, nooooo freaking way.
I just had to share that. The things i've witnessed at work... On a happy note! Kristine brought me a very bright and vibrant filipina key chain and some really cute croc flip flops! No chicks. None.
1 comment:
OH WOW... barf my face off. That is DISGUSTING! I was almost gagging reading this.
Post a Comment