Oct 16, 2011

To The G-ma!

This past Thursday my wonderful Grandma Thomson passed away. She was 90, and she lived a great, long and happy life but that didn't make it any easier to say goodbye. My mom knew it was coming, but that shock is something you can't prepare yourself for. I'm happy she's happy, not in pain anymore and chillin' with my Grandpa, which has been a long time coming for her! I hate to think of going home and she won't be there to visit anymore, but I am so blessed to have had someone like her in my life! Some of my favourite things about her:

-Her sense of humour. I had to get my sarcasm from somewhere right?
-Her sense of direction, which usually is not a good thing. I am just as bad with directions unfortenately.
-Watching Lawrence Welk in her house in Magrath every Saturday night. I got some really sweet dance moves from that show!
-Spending every Christmas with her
-Her stories. It's funny, in her later years most days she couldn't remember what she had for lunch, but she could remember everything about growing up, her kids, Grandpa, etc. They were always so funny too.
-Her love of the church
-Her love of her family even though we're all crazy

I could go on and on and on some more. I will miss her, but it's a comfort knowing I will see her again one day! Another tragedy struck Magrath this weekend and though I didn't know the kids personally, it hit me and made me think, they were so young, why them? I asked myself that all day trying to understand it and make sense of it. My heart goes out to their families and friends during this tough time, but I found a couple quotes from Joseph Smith that made me feel a lot better, and made me remember that there is a plan and we have a Heavenly Father who loves us and does things for a reason.


Trust in God
“It has been hard for me to live on earth and see … young men … taken from us in the midst of their youth. Yes, it has been hard to be reconciled to these things. … Yet I know we ought to be still and know it is of God, and be reconciled to His will; all is right.”

Death Is a Temporary Separation
“When I talk to these mourners, what have they lost? Their relatives and friends are only separated from their bodies for a short season: their spirits which existed with God have left the tabernacle of clay only for a little moment, as it were; and they now exist in a place where they converse together the same as we do on the earth.”

“The expectation of seeing my friends in the morning of the resurrection cheers my soul and makes me bear up against the evils of life.”

I am so grateful for the knowledge of the church and knowing I am going to see my family and friends again, and so will these families. As much as I miss my Grandma, I love knowing that I will see her again someday!

1 comment:

Lauren Bennett said...

D, I'm sorry about your grandma. I'm glad you got to see her on her birthday but you're right it doesn't make it easier. Thanks for the post, those are great quotes and your testimony is comforting. Hope you're allright. Much love!