Jun 28, 2008

Poetry In Rap

Rap music. Yes! Rap music. I think rap music is a style of music that gets too much critism and not enough time spent on the art of it. An example of this is Tupac. He died in 1996 but left a legacy of music filled with politics, war on the streets, the truths of evil that our world is filled with but in a different form than we're used to hearing it. I truly think rapping is a God given talent. Can I rap? Well, I can sure try, but theres no way I can flow and rythme words like these guys! Rapping is another form of art and I think more people should take the time to read the lyrics of what some of them have to say! My choice of the day is "Ghetto Gospel" featuring Elton John. I tried to pick a few lines but I just couldn't do it- so this is the second verse!

Tell me do you see that old lady ain't it sad
Living out a bag, but she's glad for the little things she has
And over there there's a lady, crack got her crazy
Guess she's given birth to a baby
I don't trip and let it fade me, from outta the frying pan
We jump into another form of slavery
Even now I get discouraged
Wonder if they take it all back while I still keep the courage
I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles
I make mistakes, I learn from everyone
And when its said and done
I bet this Brotha be a better one
If I'm upset, you don't stress
Never forget, that God hasn't finished with me yet
I feel his hand on my brain
When I write rhymes, I go blind, and let the lord do his thang
But am I less holy
Cause I choose to puff a blunt and drink a beer with my homies
Before we find world peace
We gotta find peace and end the war on the streets
My ghetto gospel


There is so much in this world that I personally don't have to deal with, and war on the streets is one of those things. A lot of us don't understand what it's like to live in the ghetto or fight everyday for your life. I used to look at rappers and think it was just a bunch of jibberish and they were all just retarded. But for some of them, this is how they vent, how they get out their feelings and try to show people what the world is truly like.

I think rap deserves more credit in how creative it is and the different ways it can be shown. I won't go on much longer- but I have a second favourite artist. Eminem. I know this boy gets a lot of hatin- he's done some stupid things that I don't agree with, but his words are powerful and for someone who can't sit down and talk about how he feels this is how he gets it out. His song "Cleaning Out My Closet" are his words that got some of that out. Don't worry, I won't post the lyrics, you can look them up if your care enough. If you know anything about him, you'll know had a hard life growing up and worked dang hard for what he has now. He didn't have a strong family situation and his mom used and abused him and years and later, he needs to get his anger out.

To end this long thing, open your minds a little and try to see what I learned to see. Every person is entitled to express themselves somehow, and this is how rappers express themselves; hrough their words, which I found to be very powerful! It's just another form of poetry- and I think its beautiful!

No comments: