Feb 25, 2009

You haven't lived til you've met a Philly!

Why hello there! Long time no see. I know, my blogging habits suck now, but I'm not sorry so don't come searching for an apology. Oh i'm just kidding. I apologize for my absence. I doubt i'll come a regular again, so just bask in the blogs I offer you...

The Philly's, my nickname for the Filipino people I work with. They are the most amazing people ever! Apart from being absolutley HILARIOUS and the nicest people ever, their stories and whats going on in their lives never cease to amaze me. I shall share one story of Emma.

Emma is in her 40's I'd guess, she's been in Canada for more than a year now. She left all her family, her husband and 3 kids to come work here so she can send money back. The Government there is so corrupt that no one can make enough money to live, even when you have a job that would should pay you enough. She went to school for Education and was a teacher for more about 20 years, but still they couldn't make enough. So she was the one that decided to leave.

Emma sends a huge portion of her paycheck back to her family, and leaves enough for groceries and the little things. All the Philly's live together and they live the most simple life possible. Never buy anything for themselves, they only care about their family. Makes you feel selfish when you stop and think about the careless money you spend, movies, music, cars, going out to eat, the simple things that you take for granted. This is getting long so i'll cut to the point. Emma is so musical, she has a beautiful voice and loves to play the piano. She has a piano back home and always tells me how much she misses it and how much she wishes she had a keyboard.

Heres where I come in. I decided that I needed to change my selfish ways and Emma was going to help me do it. I went and bought her a keyboard. Not a super pricey one, but one that would last and she could play her music to the fullest. I brought it to work as a surprise and her reaction is something I would have paid triple for! She cried, which is awkward for me cause I hate crying.. haha but it was amazing. She never stops telling me how much she loves it and how much she plays it.

These people seriously amaze me, everyday they are so happy and full of laughter despite how much they miss their families and how hard it is for them. We all need to learn from them and be grateful for the wonderful lives we were born into and take a step back and find someone to help. Anyways. Theres my motivational speech of the night.
Peace out.

1 comment:

amysteed said...

oh I love this post. For multiple reasons:
a) you're back! I always enjoy a good Danielle blog.
b) I also am surrounded by Phillies at work. And love them.
c) its heartwarming. I'm not going to lie, I'm probably not nice enough to even THINK of doing such a nice thing. Maybe I should follow your example...