Feb 26, 2011

A Big Step!

2 very exciting things have happened in my life. 1- As of yesterday at 5 pm I officially have completed semester 2! Wooo and how freakin' crazy is that!!!! I can't believe it, these 2 semesters have zoomed on by! I just finished up my work practicum at the Bessborough, it was awesome! I did a week of housekeepeing and a week of front desk. Housekeeping, please, let's be real here. Like I needed a whole lot of training! I did a day of laundry, 2 days of cleaning, a day of retail cleaning which consisted of cleaning public areas and offices and a day of shadowing the executive housekeeper and PM housekeeping. It went by with the snap of my fingers. Front Desk was new, I had never done it before so there was a lot to learn in a short amount of time, but I think I can answer phones like a pro now.

Second piece of exciting news! At the end of my housekeeping week, Mandy the executive housekeeper asked me if I would bring in my resume. Well sure I said, instantly annoyed because I was positive I was going to be offered a housekeeping position. That's the last thing on the planet I want. I feel i've put in my time in housekeeping, I've been dying to move on and quit, but haven't cause I haven't had a back up. I was prepared to accept it though, I never work at the Sandman and my bank account isn't too happy about it. Anyway. The next day I go into talk to Mandy and have a little interview and something amazing happened. Brace yourselves.

I was offered a housekeeping SUPERVISOR position. I was in shock for a few moments before I could blurt out seriously!? Why me?! I don't have any experience and I'm sure there are quite a few people out there that would be much more qualified than myself.

BUT I took it. I start Wednesday for training and I will be working weekends until the summer, then i'll be bumped up to full time. I am SO thrilled I can't even describe it! This is an amazing opporunity and I'm really excited to get such an experience. I am also incredibly nervous for such a position, but Mandy is awesome so i'm not worried about being undertrained, she will be great. AH i'm just so excited!

For now it's a temporary position, i'm taking the spot of a girl going on maternity leave. She's slated to come back in November, but you never know what will happen, and either way it's opening a huge door in the Delta hotels career wise!

Anyhow, I will stop typing now, thanks for tuning in. I am now going to enjoy my reading week coming up this monday! Hazaa!

4 comments:

noelle said...

woohoo!!! way to go Danielle!!!!! That's suuuper exciting!

Britt said...

That's so exciting! You will be an excellent supervisor!

Unknown said...

Atta girl!! Moving on to bigger and better things!!! SO PROUD OF YOU!!! :)

DANIELLE said...

thanks guys!!!!!