Nov 10, 2011

Alberta VS. Saskatchewan



Don't get me wrong, I love it here in Saskatoon. It's a very pretty city, has nice people and has a lot of cool places in the province I'm hoping to one day hit. BUT. As great as it's been to me.. There are just some things I can't get over. Let's talk about them shall we?

1.) PST. It took me about a year to get over the fact that I had to start paying PST. Alberta doesn't have PST and they seem to be doing JUST fine. Take note Saskatchewan!

2.) Roads. If I wanted to feel like I was going on a rollercoaster, I would indeed just get ON a rollercoaster. I have never driven on such horrible roads. A year and a half later, I find many of the potholes in my area endearing and I might miss them if they ever disappear, but I seriously doubt that. One day I was driving down-town and there was some road work going on and I thought, what? Where am I? They fix things!? This moment of shock and amazement quickly ended when I realized they were filling potholes with gravel. Yes. GRAVEL. I think they asked a 6 year old how to fix a hole. Take a page out of the books of Alberta and privatize things.

3.) Bunny-Hugs. It's a hoodie people, a hoodie. The only other term I will accept is a kangaroo jacket, but bunny hug? A hoodie has nothing to do with a bunny.

4.) Squeeze Left. The very first day I drove into Saskatoon there was construction going on, and there was this sign that said "Squeeze Left". I drove by confused, and pondered it as I went on. I saw this sign many more times and kept thinking what is this sign, what the crap does it mean!? It finally clicked, ohhh they mean MERGE! MERGE people! I can't tell you how often I must squeeze left and right here!

5.) Sledding. I am going to say that when you say sledding, most people immediately think of little sleds you slide down a hill on, or also known as tobogganing. Here, apparently it means ski-doing. How that makes sense is just beyond me!

6.) They didn't have Ralph Klein. Enough said.

7.) Rough-Rider fans are the craziest people known to man, I have never seen anyone so in love with a sports team. I guess when this is the only major sports team you have, it's all you can love so I'll forgive them.

8.) 90% of this province is going to die from cancer I am sure of it. The hords of people that stand outside smoking in school, work, driving blows my mind. To fit in I think I'll start. Just kidding.

I'm not all hatin', I love it here and will think fondly on it when I move away one day, but I just feel Alberta is superior in many ways. It's funny to think there are so many differences only 7 hours away from home, but they do amuse me! Excuse me while I go squeeze left.

3 comments:

Britt said...

This made my day! Especially the squeeze left thing! but I also have some bad news, snowmobiling is also called sledding here too.

DANIELLE said...

Oh shoot. Well I can forgive that one..not the rest though!

noelle said...

Danielle, I totally couldn't figure out the sledding thing either! It's like that up here too, and I'm starting to think Alberta is the ONLY place that calls it otherwise. Saskatoon is awesome though. I REALLY MISS IT, actually!!! So enjoy it while you're there. Seriously!