I never.. never ever ever thought I would ever work in a kitchen. In fact, I avoided it like the plague. I only had one restaurant experience in my life and it was horrible and ended badly, mind you I was washing dishes.. but I could still never see the appeal to working in a kitchen. I went into my school program wanting more of the hotel side, but what am I doing the next two weeks?!
Cooking. For another week and 2 days, I am in short order cooking for the Bistro, a breakfast and lunch restaurant at my school! Another group of my class is working in the Bistro as servers, and we are behind making the food for them. I have never experienced anything so terrifying as I did today! We started on Monday, but the first two days we did prep work to get us ready for today. There are 3 different sections to be in, the actual cooks, sandwich/salad makers and the expediters. (sp?) I am in the expediter group. My main job is pretty much running around and doing like everything. I help with grill, garnishing, putting plates up on the window and yelling ding ( not needed, but definitely more fun) helping with deep frying, its a little crazy to say the least!! Today we opened for lunch and I was crazy nervous! Me and Laura do this job together, so it makes it a little less stressful. It was fast paced and we were always doing something! It went pretty smoothly, but I have to say I really have no desire to ever work full time in a kitchen.
I've really had to come out of my comfort zone in this program. Today I was yelling orders out, talking to servers, garnishing and putting plates together.. I never pictured myself doing such a thing! Tomorrow we do breakfast AND lunch, I'm still nervous but i'm a little more confident! Now you know I have mad skill in the kitche, give me a ring and i'll ding you up! Wish me luck to get through the rest of this week!
p.s. 24 days until christmas!!
2 comments:
Whoa Danielle, that sounds crazy, but fun at the same time! I can definitely see you yelling "Ding" and doing a fantastic job!
Atta girl! Way to go. When are you done school for the holidays anyway? (haha P.S. remember BING!)
Post a Comment